I organized with my colleague Toshihiro Kamishima and Michael Ekstrand the 2nd FATREC workshop for responsible recommendations at the ACM RecSys conference on recommender system.
The FATREC workshop took place on 6 October 2018 in Vancouver and gathered some 70 participants for a full-day even dedicated on Fairness, Accountability and Transparency.
We organized a special dedicated to public service media which consisted in one keynote by myself and one position paper by Benjamin Fields, Rhia Jones and Tim Cowlishaw (all three from the BBC R&D).
My keynote deal with the following topics :
- the situation of public service media and the challenges of this industry
- how users perceive algorithms and the particular problem of lack of transparency
- public service values and how to translate them into KPI’s
- the particular problem of fairness and diversity
- filter bubbles: myth or reality?
- new perspectives on filter bubbles
You can find the slides of my keynote below and I’ll be of course very happy to answer any question you might have.Tags: algorithmic governance, recommendation algorithms