We continue our tour of the most innovative companies in the food sector with Oliba. This Spanish player in the beer market has developed a unique method for making these drinks. Pyrenean olives are what make their composition unique and tasty! Natural, gluten-free, preservative-free products with a strong ecological conscience will intrigue beer lovers. Discover the secrets of the manufacturer making waves among his colleagues in an industry that promises significant growth.
Oliba and the beer market in 2022
- This Catalan company is the first to use olives in its beers
- It is the winner of the SIAL Innovation 2022 Award
- Its spectacular arrival in the sector is an example to follow for any structure with international ambitions
- With an increase of 61.6 billion dollars, the European beer market will benefit from a phenomenal recovery within three years
- 37%: the expected increase in the value of the non-alcoholic beer segment between 2022 and 2025
- 70%: the importance of beer consumption in volume from home will leave little room for bars and restaurants in 2025
- Oliba innovates in the beer market
- How to fit into the trends of the beer market?
- The outlook for the European market in 2022
Nestled some 150 kilometers from Barcelona, Oliba is reinventing the brewery. Indeed, the Catalan manufacturer uses a novel process to make its drinks. In addition to hops and malt, the signature “made in Oliba” is to add several varieties of olives to its recipe. It’s quite simple: Oliba is the only player in the beer market to make its products in this way.
We can already note the premium positioning adopted by the company. Today, the company proposes two varieties of drinks: “The Original One” and “The Empeltre One.” These product names reflect a selective and elegant brand image. The main difference between these two beers lies in the list of ingredients. Indeed, “The Empeltre One” is distinguished by its composition based on empeltre, one of the most famous olives of Aragon.
It is certainly for all these reasons that the brand was awarded a major prize at SIAL 2022. Oliba and “The Empeltre One” are winners of the SIAL Innovation 2022 Award in the alcoholic beverage category!
The jury insisted on awarding this prize to The Empeltre One for the “originality of the composition.
Our visit to SIAL 2022 allows us to identify several consumer phenomena specific to the agri-food sector. These include local production, nutrition “free”, and respect for the environment. The beer market is no exception to these rules, and neither is Oliba. The Catalan structure incorporates all these values in its brand identity:
- Local character: Oliba only selects ingredients from the Pyrenean mountains.
- Culture of “free”: Its beers contain neither gluten nor preservatives. They will therefore appeal to consumers concerned about their favorite products’ ingredients.
- Environmental sensitivity: the brand communicates much about its closeness to nature. Its social networks are full of content going in this direction. To go further, the choice of green, a predominant color in the brand’s visual aspect, is not insignificant. It is reminiscent of its association with ecology.
Finally, the Spanish brewer is totally up to date for two reasons. First, its appearance on the beer market at the end of 2020 has been noticed. In this context, Oliba has released spectacular videos to accompany its launch. This communication strategy strongly encourages word-of-mouth: a good example of viral marketing. Then, the company quickly understood that a business with an international dimension could only encourage strong and rapid growth. Oliba is present throughout Europe, Asia, and America in less than two years!
Oliba has made no mistake in specializing in the production of innovative beers. The beer market is expected to grow rapidly in the coming years. Thanks to the data collected on Statista, we can highlight the existence of three important phenomena in this sector:
- Business recovery: after a stagnant beer market value due to the pandemic, the sector is promised strong growth. The compound annual growth rate (2022-2025) promises a $61.6 billion increase in the market!
- Ascendancy of non-alcoholic beers: growing almost steadily since 2012, the non-alcoholic beer sector has a bright future ahead of it. To be precise, the sector can expect to grow by around 37% by 2025.
- Consumption at home: the phenomenon will not diminish, quite the contrary. In three years, home consumption of beer will represent 40% of spending and 70% of consumption by volume.
Below is a graph summarizing the market figures for the European beer market. The data spans from 2012 to 2025, with values counted in billions of dollars.