The results of a recent market research on snapchat were made available by the Danish television (see the presentation at the end of the article, courtesy Rasmus Thaarup).
Here are the key learning points.
Snapchat : market research facts
- 2nd most used social media in Denmark (but very much behind Facebook) : 15% of the population uses it which is far more than twitter (4%) or Linkedin (3%)
- 63% of the 12-19-years-old segment use Snapchat everyday
- The content published on Snapchat is the most private of all social media
- Less than 20% of users uses it to discover content (so-called stories) from brands, media of VIP : snapchat is mostly used (>90%) to interact with friends
- 33% of people use social media while watching TV but only 5% use social media related to TV content !
- 77% of people watching TV use social media to kill time (out of boredom thus !)
- Market research done on X-Factor from 2014 to 2016 shows that the reach of hashtag campaigns keeps decreasing from year to year
Danish TV uses snapchat to engage viewers : 2000 questions in 10 minutes
DR (Danish TV) used snapchat to engage its young audience on some very particular content on transgender, polyamourous or adult baby. As the graph below shows, it was the media which gave the best results in terms of engagement. Some 2000 questions were received in 10 minutes for the “Adult baby” program broadcasted by DR (see the trailer below).
Conclusions for your Snapchat strategy
- Consider snapchat only if your target group is very young
- platforms should dictate your format
- use snapchat as an exclusive behind the scenes medium
- use snapchat for non-filtered and spontaneous content
- create storylines – but don’t over plan
- hire a teenage snapchat host for your most important brands
- use snapchat for interactions where users prefer anonymity
- stop making hashtag campaigns
market research belgium